Pages

Wednesday 1 July 2020

The Strange Box set


There is a lot to be said about Monte Cook Games.
High production value, great artists and great ideas.

The Cypher System is a different approach to roleplaying games that I really like, specifically the rolling conventions with dice. The players roll all the dice. (the GM might occasionally)

The card though, are the best feature of the game. I highly recommend them, for ALL your RPG's, not just Numenera or TheStrange. You can use them really with anything you play.

I was lucky to find a Kickstarter version of TheStrange Deluxe boxed set from Noble Knight Games which has always provided excellent service through ebay as well. In fact, this box set was much cheaper than the Kickstarter price.
In all I'm very happy with this box set, the video above provides some insight on what you get in the box.
It's already got me creating a series of game ideas revolving around Moorcock's Eternal Champion (alternate world version of course) for my own tabletop campaign.

The Cypher System is very easy for a GM to run, even better with the cards. I have bought several box sets of cards and obtained missing/expanded sets from DTRPG... though I have to say shipping prices through DTRPG to Canada is BRUTAL, and I don't purchase them often.

Cypher, once you get your head rapped around your GM-freedom, can be easy to adapt into any genre you want. As I prefer to play Sci-fi, TheStrange and Numenera have little need of adapting for you to have all your Sci-fi adventuring needs met with both provided systems.

I hope those reading, really consider this hidden gem of a game system. If you have any questions about it, please ask in the comments section here on the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment