Pages

Wednesday 1 July 2020

The Expanse RPG


So.. Green Ronin is usually hit or miss for me.
I've purchased from them in the past with "Blue Rose" for my daughter.
The rules in Blue Rose was rather convoluted and she found it rather hard to understand.
Even I had a rather hard time understanding AGE through that book.
However, the Expanse is rather easy to understand.
I suppose it's all in the way they lay things out. It was easy to wrap my head around this book, and it prompted me to sign up for a free month of Amazon Prime, just so I could binge watch the former Netflix series.
The good thing is, since the mechanics are so well laid out, it made it easier to understand Blue Rose.

A "must have" for this book is the  Game Masters Kit


This collection of information includes sturdy reference sheets for the players and a GM's screen which is well laid out with all the information needed for running the game.
It also includes a dry-erase initiative tracker sheet and pre-generated character sheets, and a complete adventure. Giving a new GM a complete scope of whats needed.

Absu's Bounty is another book that further adds to the GM's arsenal.
One thing though, it seems to parallel the TV Series... mimicking a lot of what you find from the series and just slightly changing a few things. If your players watched the series, you will find this adventure to be a little predictable for them.
Tool-wise, this book can help in fabricating your own adventures by seeing how they adopted ideas from the series and put them into context.

I'll be GM'ing this one soon with a group, we will see how it plays out, and it will be a great help for my daughter struggling with Blue Rose. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment