Pages

Monday 6 July 2020

Batch Painting


With Economics of time in mind, you might find yourself doing painting in batches.
For me this usually numbers between 10 to 15 miniatures at a time.

One of the key things to keep in mind is having enough containers to store your paint mixes.
Often I'll go to Micheal's art supply to pick up a set of empty capped containers, these will be rather affordable "Artist Loft" branded. You don't need expensive ones, I usually buy the mix of small containers and medium.
Medium containers stand about 2" high and these I'll use for making washes. My mix will be paint and Airbrush thinner and Flow improver (no water). You will be amazed at how little amount of paint you will need for the mix. Water is bad, it doesn't have any properties in it to "thin" the paint properly and usually dries stringy or blotchy (keep in mind it's a good way to make veins on beholder eyes if the paint dries stringy, or on body parts if you want veins in general).

The small containers are not even an inch high, but I use these a lot to mix paint or ink with paint. I'll also use Airbrush thinner if I need to thin it out (Vallejo paint tends to be thicker than Army Painter).

I'll experiment on one miniature first to test color arrangement and application. I'll find out what things pop out with drybrushing and washes. I might fail and then soak the mini in LA Totally Awesome to strip it and start over. Once I have my plan worked out, I start mass painting.

Please check out the video above and subscribe if you want to see more video stuff.
Ask questions in the comments section.

No comments:

Post a Comment