Pages

Thursday 24 June 2021

RPG's... Game or... Sexual Therapy? What is it WotC?

 


So... yeah... seems to be allergies? But in my line of work, I got to get tested today.

Anyways, this will give me some time to type up some articles for my blog here.


SEX and Role-playing Games. It's a topic, it's a thing.

As for the mainstream Dungeons & Dragons, I'm certain many of us have played the games and encountered some form of sexual innuendo. 
Many sex-therapists use Role-Play as a tool to understand a couple's issues.
The thing is, when you play D&D, are you using it as a game or therapy?

This is something each of us should ask ourselves when we approach gaming. 
When you play chess, are you acting out sexual innuendo?
When you play Uno? Munchkin? Battletech? Monopoly?

As a married gamer-dad (married late in life at 35, just had our 21st Anniversary in May), my kids are all old enough to play role-playing games. When I'm GM/DM'ing any RPG, a lot of times my kids might want to join the group... so I've never used innuendo when they participate, and my older players don't initiate it (even without my kids playing, so far). If there was a situation where a player is smitten by the opposite sex, or same-sex... the general fade-to-black is what I use. It is implied that something has happened between the 2 characters (pc-pc, pc-npc, npc-npc) to have the 2 persons closer to a personal relationship.

It would feel uncomfortable if my kids were involved in that, within a game I'm GM/DM'ing.

As a guy who lived the hedonistic rock-and-roll band lifestyle until he hit his 30's, it really doesn't make me flinch at all if players go into innuendo mode in my games, of any inter-sexual means. (like I say, when my kids are in the group... um, pass). 
But the thing is, D&D and all other RPG's, are GAMES. And to me they are first and foremost just a GAME. Not therapy.

If you are playing RPG's in order to satisfy a sexual fetish, I'm sure there are RPG groups out there that will indulge your desires. But I think WOTC is making a big mistake if they are attempting to advertise their "game" as "sexual-therapy". After all, isn't that what they are currently trying to... approach?

It's something for us to think about, and question among ourselves. 

No comments:

Post a Comment