Pages

Sunday 4 April 2021

The problem with *some* TRAVELLER Forum/Groups Admins




Groups have Admins, but often we see Admins have a very narrow band of sight when it comes to TRAVELLER.

TRAVELLER, if you don't know, is a role-playing game that started back in 1977 (I was 12 at that time). It's been a game on my shelves since 1978 onwards.

It is classified as a (hard) science fiction game. The 3 book set had adherence towards the more science-y side than fantasy, however it did not count these fantasy factors entirely out.

On inhabited worlds, there is a Tech level associated to the population of the planet. This can be from 0 to 16 typically. THIS seems to be where Forum/Group Admin's FAIL in their moderation.

Also, "miniatures" can be a factor. The original rules used cardboard chits, or 15mm miniatures. Due to the lack of 15mm minis available, a lot of gamers have made 28mm minis their scale for the game, as there are many more options and companies produce these miniatures on mass.

I paint a lot of Miniatures on Science fiction and modern genre. In fact over 70% of my minis are (non-WH40k) 28mm science fiction from various companies and aliens/robots as well. A lot of Refs and players in TRAVELLER want to know how to paint these minis as well.

Lately I was reprimanded for posting a miniature of an alien known as a "razormouth", the Admin questioning it's relevancy to the game. Seriously, if I have to post the "why" of it's relevancy to TRAVELLER... the problem will then occur if I post a miniature of Tech level 0-1 (caveman or alien-primitive) Tech 2-3 (primitives/aliens with swords) .... do you see a problem?

If the Admin has such a narrow scope on this game not to allow posting of mini's of any Tech level (unless it has a space gun and a space-suit) there's a problem. That group is going to stagnate into a narrow-minded hive. AND if your aliens don't look like a giger-nightmare, it doesn't count as an alien.

Admins like this, are idiots.

The Mewe group that this relates to, I decided to remove my posts. And remove my uploaded PDF's and printable handouts. They are my own property, if I feel like I no longer want to share these with the group, I do have the right to remove my own stuff.

The Mewe group admin took offence to this and kicked me out of the group. It's his group, he has the right to do what he wants. If he wants to run it like a dick, then he has full rights to be a dick.

For those who want to have access to all my pdf's (free) and partake in a group that covers ALL aspects of Science Fiction gaming (board games, miniatures, TRAVELLER and other sci-fi RPG's) feel free to join my Mewe group. The Chat is disabled (to prevent spam) but feel free to post.

LINK TO: Sci-fi RPG Adventures Mewe group



1 comment:

  1. As an ADMIN, st least I'm an open-minded dick, lol

    ReplyDelete